Two-Minute Drill: Inside Gator Bowl Postgame
By Brandon Castel
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The postgame bowl setting usually provides some of the best and most unique media opportunities of the year.
It may have been a down year for the Buckeyes, ending with a 24-17 loss to Florida on Monday, but the Gator Bowl postgame did not disappoint.
Here is a look at what Luke Fickell and his players were saying after finishing the season 6-7 with their fourth-straight loss in Jacksonville.
Hurricane Meyer Will Hit Early
- Ohio State players have a 7a.m. meeting with Urban Meyer and his new coaching staff in Columbus tomorrow.
- OSU TE Jake Stoneburner said “I wouldn’t be late for that one.”
- Talked to a few underclassmen who said they really wanted to win this for the seniors, but they're ready for a fresh start.
- WR DeVier Posey said it was an emotional postgame locker room. A lot of hugs. Like a family. Everyone got closer this year.
- Posey said he thinks this season will be good for younger guys because now they've been somewhere they never want to go back.
- Freshman LB Ryan Shazier agreed that he thought this year will make everyone mentally tougher for the future.
Guys Coming Back?
- DE Nathan Williams is going to take a medical redshirt and return next season.
- Asked if it was a tough decision, he responded, "It was the obvious decision. I wanted to come back."
- Williams actually injured the knee in fall camp. Said it was killing him on every play against Akron in the opener.
- Williams also said that he expects to be ready for the start of fall camp next season.
- TE Jake Stoneburner said he is not 100% he is coming back, but certainly seems to be leaning that way. Bowl ban seemed to bum him out, but Stoneburner said he knows Urban Meyer will have them ready to play for 12 games.
- DT Johnathan Hankins said he is excited to have Nathan Williams back next year and expects to have John Simon and the other juniors back as well.
- Stoneburner said he injured his left knee in the Michigan game. Said it was 4-6 week recovery and he just wasn't able to go.
- Freshman LB Ryan Shazier said he started today's game about 90%, but dropped to about 70% after a spill he took during Ohio State’s fumble recovery.
- Hankins played without his knee brace Monday and said that his knee felt good. He is not planning to have surgery.
- Hankins said he didn't feel like his conditioning took a hit because of the knee injury and said he welcomes an intense off-season under Meyer because it will make him a better player.
- DB Zach Domicone tore his ACL and will have surgery on Jan. 4.
- Junior TE Reid Fragel said he approached Urban Meyer about moving to offensive tackle next year.
- Fragel said he thinks the Buckeyes need offensive tackles and he wants to be like Patriots rookie Nate Solder. Feels OSU in good hands at TE.
- Posey said he was frustrated by the missed opportunity when he was wide open in the end zone, but said Braxton will be much better next year.
- Miller said he felt like he could never get into a rhythm today. Posey said they had something going and then he fumbled the ball.
- Urban Meyer has retained Kirk Barton as a graduate assistant for next season.
- Meyer is also expected to announce the hirings of former Notre Dame assistant coaches Tim Hinton (TEs) and Ed Warriner tomorrow.
- Assistants Jim Heacock, Jim Bollman and Dick Tressel all said they would like to continue coaching.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.