Sullinger Sweeps Weekly Big Ten Awards
From OSU Press Release
Jared Sullinger had a record-setting week in wins vs. IUPUI and Western Carolina last week to earn his second Big Ten Conference Player of the Week and fifth Freshman of the Week awards.
throws one down against IUPUI
Photo by Jim Davidson
The 6-9 freshman from Columbus averaged 28.5 points and 9.0 rebounds while shooting 64 percent from the field (16-25) and making 25-35 foul shots (.714).
Against IUPUI, Sullinger poured in 40 points, an Ohio State freshman record and the first 40-point game for a Buckeye since 1986.
He connected 12-of-17 shots and set Ohio State freshman records for both made (16) and attempted (23) free throws.
Battling illness against Western Carolina, Sullinger scored 17 points in just 22 minutes. He hit 9-of-12 free throws and 4-of-8 field goals in Ohio State's eighth win of the season.
Sullinger's second player of the week honor marks the first time a league freshman has earned two in a season since Ohio State's Greg Oden did so during the 2006-07 season.
puts two more on the board against Western Carolina.
Photo by Jim Davidson
Noting Sullinger's 40-point game.
Freshman Jared Sullinger scored a game-high 40 points for the Buckeyes in the 75-64 win vs. IUPUI Dec. 9. Along the way he set numerous Ohio State records.
· Most Points by an Ohio State freshman-40
· Most FTs Made by an Ohio State freshman-16
· 3rd-T Free Throws Made at Ohio State
· Most FTA by an Ohio State freshman-23
· 10th-T FTs attempted in Big Ten history
· Third Most FTs attempted in Big Ten history
· 2nd 40-pt. by a Big Ten freshman all-time
· No. 17-T Single Game Scoring Record at Ohio State
· 57th time OSU player has scored 35 or more points in a game-all-time
· Last time OSU player scored 35 or more pts. in a game was by Brent Darby (35) vs. Duke in 2002.
· Last time OSU player scored 40 or more pts. in a game was by Dennis Hopson (41) at Dayton in 1986.
· Last time a Big Ten player scored 40 or more pts. in a game was by Shawn Respert of Michigan State vs. Indiana, 1/11/95.
· Sullinger scored in double figures for the seventh time this season in win vs. Western Carolina. He led the Buckeyes in scoring with a career-high 40 points and 13 rebounds vs. IUPUI. He has four double-doubles in eight career outings. The last Buckeye to score 30 points in a game was Evan Turner vs. Tennessee on 3/26/10 in the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen.
· Sullinger's 40 points is a Value City Arena record for most points scored. It is the 10th 30-plus point game in Value City Arena history. Evan Turner had the previous record with 32 vs. Iowa for a Buckeye on 2/7/10 (Ray Barbosa, UMBC, 12/29/07 and Marcus Taylor, Michigan St., 2/27/02 also had 32 points as visitors).
· Sullinger's 40 point performance is the first 40-point game since Dennis Hopson scored 41 at Dayton on 12/26/86. It's the most points ever for a freshman at Ohio State. Michael Redd previously held the freshman record for points in a game with 32 vs. Penn State on 2/28/98 in an overtime loss (89-85) at St. John Arena.
· Sullinger's 40 points are the most points for a freshman in a game since Greg Oden dropped 29 vs. Iowa on 1/20/07.
· Sullinger had a career high in free-throw attempts, making 16 of 23. Evan Turner was the last Buckeye to make at least 10 free-throws in a game. Turner was 10-12 vs. Illinois on 3/13/10 in the Big Ten Tournament last year.
· With 16 made free-throws, Sullinger's performance places him tied for third all-time at Ohio State in free-throws made in a game.
· Sullinger's 16 made free-throws and 23 attempted free-throws are both freshman records. It ties for the most free-throws made and is a free-throw attempt record by an Ohio State player in Value City Arena (Brent Darby was 16-18 vs. Illinois on 1/29/02).
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.